I have used it for the last 4 years to keep track of ALL of our lesson plans. It use to just be a Unit Planner because that was how we schooled. But now it is a "Lesson Planner" and I keep forgetting to change the label!
I tallied up weeks left (we aim to be done before the boys' birthdays in the first week of June... long story for another day). It didn't look good. We seemed hopelessly off course. 18 weeks worth of work and only 13-14 weeks left of school.
What to do.
Straightening the papers that still remained in the folder I came across what I thought were some notes for homeschool focus and goals. I really began reflecting on if we were reaching our stated agenda for the year:
- Are we doing what God has called us to do?
- Is God's work noticeable in my life?
- Are we on fire for God's work?
Then I looked at the sub notes under the questions. I remembered it being a list of check points I had noted from somewhere else. I was planning on using them for some other work I am doing... and forgot! I also realized the core of a faithful homeschool should be reflecting these values.
So I made my own list of how to achieve the check points:
- Bible Study is Priority - FIRST every morning (First works best for us)
- Remember that we are working for the Lord not for man
- It isn't about knowledge for man, rather, knowledge so GOD's brilliance can shine through
- We don't need to be geniuses (God can and does use even the foolish things of this world...) but we need to grow the abilities God has given us. Faith + knowledge = impressive!
As the list grew I sought the Spirit for understanding and application. I thought of questions I could pose to the kids...
- God's Word gives life... is it at the center of every day? Not just a.m. study... but in understanding all aspects of each day.
- Do I turn to him when I struggle with my school work?
- Are my words and actions measured with love... where can I improve?
- Do we take opportunities to do for others and share during our day?
- Are we sharing about Jesus with others?
As I looked back at my lists I realized God was reminding me of the value of HIM at the center of our homeschool.
So we are off schedule a bit... it will all work out. Reading those extra few books, taking un-lesson related field trips, doing fun and messy un-time restricted projects... that can still be done through the summer (and boy, I can't wait for summer now!).
For now, we still have a lot of fun, interactive and exciting things left to do this school year. But the most exciting part of all is remembering WHO we are schooling for and why the forward motion (not necessarily the speed) is what progresses us to that final Destination... and isn't that Destination grand!?!
I pray you have peace no matter where you are in your lesson plans... to know Who you travel with makes the progress towards your destination that much more fun!
Have a most blessed weekend,
Linking up with Sue today at: